Originally, the Kingdom of Buganda was a small territory consisting of the Busiro, Busujju, Kyaddondo Mawokota and some small portions of Ssingo and Bulemeezi counties. However, during the early years of its making, there were considerable rivalry between Buganda and Bunyoro Kingdoms which fueled constant fighting over various territories between the two. This led to a Gradual expansion of Buganda Kingdom until it grew to the twenty counties that constituted Buganda at its pinnacle.
Ssese islands were autonomous within Buganda right from the beginning and only reserved as the islands of the gods which were not directly governed by Buganda but this was altered in the 1900 agreement.
History Ancient history and settlement. Buddu county was acquired from the kingdom of Bunyoro during the reign of the late King Jjunju. It used to be a favoured destination for those who were fleeing from wars and famine in the neighbouring regions of Ankole, Rwanda, Kooki and Tooro. Buddu was known as “Ebudukiro”, earning its
History Ancient history and settlement. Bugerere was a Bunyoro territory, occupied by Namuyonjo and mulondo. it was annexed to Buganda by the british government on 25th October 1895. When Semei Kakungulu “Omubiito we Kooki” (Prince from Kooki County) resigned as Kimbugwe (County chief of Buluuli) when Mwanga II was king, he went and made his
History Ancient history and settlement. Bulemeezi county was at one time part of kyadondo county. Ssekabaka Mawanda (1740-1760) divided it off from kyadondo, and made it seperate district of the first rank, because its chief, Mwogozi, was a wealthy man, and had built one of the largest in the royal enclosure, which he called Muzibu.
History Ancient history and settlement. Buluuli was formerly a territory of the kingdom of Bunyoro. It was ruled by the following chiefs: Banda, Kabagambe, Kadyebo, Mutengesa and Princess Nyangoma. In 1896, during the reign of Mwanga II, the british government annexed Buluuli and officially made it a buganda county on 9th May 1898. Andereya Luwandaga
History Ancient history and settlement. Busiro county is one of the most important sites within as it is the home to Naggalabi; which has served Buganda kingdom’s coronation site since 14th century. The county’s chief’s title is Ssebwana and the county headquarters are in Sentema. King’s college, Budo founded in 1906 and one of the
History Ancient history and settlement. Busujju county covers the current districts of mityana, Gomba, and Mpigi. It Neighbours Gomba, Butambala, Singo and Buweekula counties. The county headquarters are at Mwera-Nsero and the county chief carries the title of Kasujju. In addition to Busujju being where the headquarters of the Ngonge (Otter) clan are located, the